Sunday, November 13, 2011

Mrs. Yollis's Classroom Blog

I thoroughly enjoyed visiting Mrs. Yollis's Classroom Blog. It was very impressive! I just can't get over all the amazing things in which I found this third grade class involved. The blog contains so many interesting things that I added her blog and her wiki that instructs teachers how to get started with classroom blogs to my Symbaloo account. I feel certain that I will want to keep up with what Mrs. Yollis and her class are doing.
The first link on her page was Meet Mrs. Yollis. It told all about how she has been teaching for twenty five years, and she primarily teaches third grade but has taught fifth grade as well. She really enjoys teaching and that is surely evident just visiting her blog. She enjoys travelling the world with her husband, and she just recently received her Master's Degree in "Integrating Technology in the Classroom." She attended a Google workshop for teachers called Geo Teacher's Institute and she was involved in a project with Giant Travelling Maps through National Geographic. My favorite part of this link was the picture of Mrs. Yollis as a third grader. I'm sure her students enjoy seeing their teacher the same age as themselves.
The next link on her page is Meet the Bloggers and it is all about the students in Mrs. Yollis's class. She has twenty-two students and their school is located in a suburb of Los Angeles, California. A list of all the different activities that these students enjoy is on that page as well as a picture of her class.
The next link is called  How to Comment. Here Mrs. Yollis and her class made two videos. One explains in detail how to post a comment on the class blog. The other video has her students explain how to write a quality comment. The students did a great job with this project.
Mrs. Yollis's Website was the next link, and I just loved her fall inspired class page. She has a link to every subject she teaches with great sites to play games and get more information. She includes links to homework, projects, and even some sites for parents to peruse. This page is also so very impressive. I want to be Mrs. Yollis when I grow up or at least try to do all of this in my own classroom .
Next is the link called Learn HTML Code where she makes learning how to write in code very simple for beginners. She advises users to keep a copy of the code near your computer, so you will always have it when you need it.
Then she has a link called Time Zones of Friends where she has clocks for all the different schools in which they keep in contact from all over the world, and she has a link called Learn about California in which she made a video all about her state with a program called Photo Peach. She seems to make most of her videos with this program, so I added it to my own PLN.
Her next link is Learning to Shoot Great Digital Images where she and her students have created a video that gives step by step instructions on how to take great photos with a digital camera.
Mrs. Yollis's last link,Educational Blogging Resource for Teachers, is a wiki page that she made for teachers who want to use the same great technology she is using. It explains all about setting up a blog for your classroom. What a great idea!
If you check out the links on the side of her blog, you will find that Mrs. Yollis's class is also involved in Our World, Our Stories where they connect with other classrooms around the world and Yollis's 365 Project where her class takes picture of different things and they create interesting blog posts about them. What great practice for her students. Checking her Cluster Map, I found that she has had 75,679 visits and EDM 310 had only 51,308 visits. You can also see all the different well-deserved awards her blog has received in the three short years it has been around. I don't think I have ever seen a teacher do anything like this. I didn't realize this kind of thing was possible, but it makes me want to start the same type of thing for my own classroom. Thanks so much for bringing this great site to our attention.

I Love Blogging picture

No comments:

Post a Comment