Sunday, October 30, 2011

Summary Post #3 for C4T

For my last two C4T assignments, I had a blog called Jenny's Learning Journey. This blog was created by a primary school teacher from Auckland, New Zealand named Jenny She. She loves teaching, blogging, and everything technology has to offer. The first blog post I read was Would Google+ Be Useful in the Classroom?. Ms. She had become interested in Google+ because she is real advocate of social networking sites. She became a member of Google+ and immediately saw the benefits this site had to offer teachers as well as students. She observed students in a "hang out" session which is where friends, family, colleagues, or classmates can "hang" together and talk back and forth. These particular students were having a study session. Ms. She thought this was an excellent idea. Students don't have to meet for these kinds of sessions anymore. They can all be together without leaving the comforts of their own home. She also had recently read an article that gave ten different ways Google+ could be used in a classroom. However, there was a professor who commented on this blog and reminded everyone that Google+ requires its members to be 18+, so maybe this could work for students at the university level. I told Ms. She that I had never heard about Google+, but I am a member of Facebook and it does sound very interesting. I checked her Profile page on Google+, and I also told her that I thought these "hang outs" would be great for study sessions as well as working on group projects.
The second blog post I read was entitled My First Experience with Google+. This post was all about Ms. She becoming a member of the new networking site Google+ and absolutely loving it. She immediately became a fan of its unique privacy settings. You can form "circles" with different groups of people, so every thing you post is only read by those in a particular "circle". You can talk about professional topics with your fellow teachers and talk about family topics with your family. Every friend you have doesn't read the same posts. I told Ms. She I thought that sounded like a great idea, and I was going to have to check out Google+ for myself. I thanked Ms. She for sharing this interesting information about this new social networking site.

Googl+ icons

No comments:

Post a Comment