Monday, October 31, 2011

Blog Post #10

Joshua Bloom

I have been teaching altogether six years, and I became an education major because I love working with children. I get immense satisfaction when I "teach" a concept, and my students understand and internalize it. It is truly a great feeling. I don't think any other occupation besisdes teaching has that. You really can see the benefits of your job on a daily basis, and the rewards are numerous. 
To teach or educate? That is the question. Joshua Bloom's video certainly made "teaching" seem like a bad word. "Educate" explains much better what we as teachers are required to do. Some of the words he used to describe the work of educators were "illuminate, enlighten, inspire, and empower." These are very strong words, and they require a strong teacher to perform these actions. I know I am up for the challenge. Not only do my students see me as the teacher who teaches literature, but also as a role model to follow as a positive example. I am there when the students need to talk or need advice, and I am also there to guide them and show them the way when they seem lost. A teacher cannot get by with just teaching his or her subject matter. There are so many other ways you are needed, and I see that on a daily basis. I love being there for my students, and I know that I have chosen the right career for me. 


By John Spencer

John Spencer uses his metaphoric blog post to compare pencils with computers or technology. In Spencer's story, an administrator accuses this teacher of not being concerned with standardized tests scores. The standardized test scores of these low income kids are even lower for the ones who take home "pencils." The administrator seems to think that the "pencils" are only being used for entertainment and that they have no purpose or value. That seems to be how many teachers and administrators seem to feel about computers and the internet. Many educators don't seem to recognize the great value these technological tools have to offer our students. 
The administrator goes on to say that the parents of these students aren't comfortable using "pencils" themselves, but the teacher says that they can hold classes for the parents so they can learn the same skills as the students. The teacher is then asked how he will hold his students accountable. The administrator is worried that the students will waste valuable time playing Hang Man. That part really made me chuckle. Then the teacher tells Gertrude that the students might even join pen "pal networks" which are obviously social networking sites, and if they do these other activities, there is sure to be some learning taking place that we don't actually see. This is all a metaphor for teaching our students technology, and maybe administration isn't convinced that this kind of learning will improve these ridicules standardized test scores. But this kind of learning is definitely our students' future, and if we want them prepared for the job market and society, we better rethink our approach to technology and education. 

pencils

3 comments:

  1. You got the metaphor. Congratulations.

    Special Assignment #1

    Write a post about why we use metaphors. Give examples in history and literature and even EDM310. Due Sunday November 20, 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mary!
    Good job!! It's good that you got the metaphor, because I didn't. I think I took the post too seriously. Now after reading how you interpreted the post, I actually realize he was using "pencils" to refer to technology like you said. Good job overall! Keep up the good work! Thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Ashley. I'm glad my post helped you.

    ReplyDelete